Bears fall to in-state foe

September 1, 2019


CONWAY –  It was a rough afternoon in Jonesboro for the Central Arkansas women’s soccer team as a rocky start to the match left themselves with a small chance of recovery. The Bears traveled to Jonesboro to take on Arkansas State, a team that came into the match coming off a huge victory against Big 12 Conference affiliate Kansas State. 

Central Arkansas (0-3), found themselves down two goals less than five minutes into the match, conceding a goal in the second minute and another in the third. However, the Bears responded to adversity and got a goal back in the 23rd minute before ultimately conceding a third goal late as more numbers were thrown forward in an attempt to equalize.

First Half

  • Arkansas State’s Abigail Glockzin gave the Red Wolves an early 1-0 advantage inside of two minutes into the match.
  • Arkansas State doubled their lead in the third minute on a goal from Sarah Sodoma.
  • The Red Wolves nearly grabbed a third in the 20th minute, however UCA keeper Reagan McCombs was up to the task and recorded her first save of the afternoon.
  • Central Arkansas cut the deficit in half in the 23rd minute courtesy of a Gracie Hair goal, her first of the season.
  • The Bears would nearly equalize five minutes later on a Emma Hawkins strike that flew just wide right of the net. 

Second Half

  • The Bears continued to threaten in the second half in search for the equalizing goal and nearly grabbed it in the 53rd minute on a Jordan Slim strike that forced a corner kick. 
  • Hawkins again nearly tied it up for Central Arkansas in the 67th minute as she saw her strike fly just high of the net. 
  • A corner kick opportunity in the 80th minute nearly saw the Red Wolves grab their two goal advantage again as ASU’s Haley Husted was denied by goalkeeper Elizabeth Lewis just in front of goal. 
  • ASU would score the final goal of the match in the 84th minute as the Bears many numbers forward in a final attempt to grab an equalizer.

Central Arkansas finished the match with eight total shots, and only one on frame. Goalkeepers McCombs and Lewis each saw a half of action recording two saves apiece. 

Coach Bishop Quotes

“Today was similar to Friday in that we gave away a couple of scoring chances early in the match and our opponent took full advantage, but we settled in after that and controlled most of the play. Today, we didn’t create enough scoring chances to get ourselves fully back into the game. We have to be sharper in the final third so we can get more looks at goal. It’s a process. We have to keep working and I know this group will.”

Up Next

The Bears are back in action this Friday, September, 6 as they travel to Stillwater to take on Oklahoma State. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.