August 30, 2019
CONWAY – Hendrix men’s soccer opened up the 2019 season Friday evening with an evening showdown against the Huntingdon Hawks in the 2019 Hendrix Invitational from Warrior Field. After trailing 1-0 at the intermission, the Warriors conceded three second half goals as Hendrix fell to the Hawks, 4-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– After giving up one goal in the first 45 minutes, the Warriors gave up two more goals in the first 25 minutes of the second half before sophomore Ricky Barrientos got the home team on the scoreboard.
– The Hawks scored one more goal in the 89th minute to hold the 4-1 advantage.
– Sophomore Arron Sahlman recorded a pair of saves against Huntingdon.
– Freshman Luis Lara recorded a team-best four shots in the loss.
– Five other Warrior players tallied one shot each while Barrientos and sophomore Jackson Goodwin landed the lone shots on goal for Hendrix.
WHAT WAS SAID
“I thought we played well for large portions of the game but we gave the ball away cheaply in the middle third which led to three goals,” stated head coach Matt Kern. “Our team shape in defensive transition moments, was simply not good enough tonight. Huntingdon were very organized an punished us on the counter attack. We will learn from this and look to be more organized.”
The Warriors remain in Conway for its next contest; facing Hardin-Simmons Sunday from Warrior Field at 2 p.m. in the final game of the 2019 Hendrix Invitational.