August 30, 2019
AUSTIN, Texas – Hendrix women’s soccer played a regular season contest for the first time in over 10 months after the Warriors battled Concordia (Texas) Friday from Austin, Texas. The Warriors took the early lead as Hagan Griffith tacked on her first goal of her senior campaign in less than three minutes into the match. After taking a 1-0 lead into the break, the Warriors scored two more goals in the final 35 minutes of regulation to hang on to the 3-1 victory. With the win, the Warriors improve to 1-0 on the young year.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– After Griffith scored just two minutes and 11 seconds into the game, Concordia did not tie the game up until the 56th minute.
– Claire Huchingson put the Warriors back on top just 66 seconds after the Tornadoes knotted the game up at 1-all with her first collegiate score of her young career.
– Mary Helen VanHoy iced the game in the 84th minute as she connected on her first goal of the young season with six minutes left to give Hendrix the 3-1 lead and ultimately the victory.
– VanHoy carded two shots on the evening while Griffith and Huchinson each tallied one each.
– Griffith picked up a pair of assists in the win while Khenli Harp scooped up one assist as well.
– Anna Claire Lewis (1-0) carded two saves while playing all 90 minutes for Hendrix in goal.
– Despite the win, the Warriors were outshot 8-4 to Concordia.
– The Tornadoes did not record any saves Friday evening and only recorded one corner kick while Hendrix landed three corner kicks.
WHAT WAS SAID
“It really looked like a first game for us tonight,” explained head coach Jeff Trimble. “We started off slow and looked like we were a bit lost We got a goal early from Griffith and that really helped. After halftime, we looked much better. A lot of credit to Concordia; they were very organized and played really well. We were much better defensively in the second half and we played much better soccer. Lewis, in goal, did a good job keeping us organized defensively. It was a good start and we will learn from our mistakes.”
The Warriors remain out in Texas to continue the two-game road trip out west to open up the 2019 season. Hendrix faces McMurry Sunday at noon from Abilene, Texas.
For the latest news regarding Hendrix Warrior Athletics, follow @HendrixWarriors on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook. Be sure to follow @HCscoreboard for all your in-game live updates as well.