August 30, 2019
FAYETTEVILLE – Two extremely close sets put Little Rock in striking distance but the Trojans fell just short of claiming a set in a loss at Arkansas Friday evening. The match marked the first time the two Natural State schools met in the regular season.
Little Rock (0-2) dropped sets of 25-20, 25-21 and 25-12 in the match against the Razorbacks (2-0) but threatened in the first two sets.
Arkansas 3, Little Rock 0 | 25-20, 25-21, 25-21 | Box Score | PDF | Photo Gallery
Behind the Box Score
- Little Rock forced five ties in the opening set.
- A 6-0 run in the second set, capped off by a Carol Barbosa kill, gave the Trojans their greatest chance for a set win. That run pulled Little Rock within 23-21.
- Midway through that 6-0 run, Arkansas was forced to call timeout after an ace by Diana Giordani.
- Each team had five service aces but four of Arkansas’ five aces came in the third set.
- Little Rock only trailed in blocks, 7-5.
- Arkansas was led by Devyn Wheeler’s .727 hitting percentage (8-0-11).
Leaders by the Numbers
- Carol Barbosa: 7 kills, 222 hitting percentage (7-3-18)
- Diana Giordani, Laura Jansen: 2 service aces
- Alyssa Nayar: 10 assists
- Diana Giordani: 9 digs
- Janae Thurston, Carol Barbosa, Annelise Samson: 2 blocks
- Laura Jansen’s two service aces marked a career high. Her only other career service ace came earlier in the day against Montana State.
- Diana Giordani’s two service aces fell one short of matching a career high.
- Giordani’s nine digs ended a streak of eight consecutive matches played with double digit digs.
- Arkansas now leads the all-time series, 2-0. The teams previously played in the 1997 NCAA Tournament.
Little Rock faces Northwestern State on Saturday, Aug. 31 at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on Little Rock Volleyball, make sure to check out LRTrojans.com. You can also find the team on social media at @LittleRockVB on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.